Thursday, June 03, 2010

At home with the Staffords (Daily Photo 6.3.10)

Like it? 

Another run in the cemetery by my house today took me by a monument I've known about for years -- the house-shaped headstone for F.H. Stafford, with all his little Staffords in a row sitting in the front yard.

I'm assuming F.H. was a man.  Call me crazy, but that's what I'm guessing.

Click the photo to see the panorama at larger size. This stone is one I've long remembered as striking because it evokes nothing so much as a very large Victorian dollhouse populated by at least one corpse -- possibly all seven of them. You can't help but look at it and wonder where the living room is, pun intended, or where they keep their piano. Are there bathrooms in the afterlife, and if not then where do they brush their teeth? The kitchen sink? That's unsanitary. Dishes go in there. Who mows the lawn? It's so neat. And is there a cellar to this house? Something tells me there is. Would the dead store preserves down there, or would that be too ironic? 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails