Friday, May 28, 2010

The 48th Parallel (Daily Photo 5.26.10)

Like it? 
Apparently new for 2010, Sam Adams is selling a new variety of beer called Latitude 48. According to the label, it's an IPA "brewed with a carefully selected blend of hops from top German, English and American growing regions, all located close to the 48th Latitude within the 'hop belt' of the Northern Hemisphere. The intense hop character is balanced by a slight sweetness and full body from the malt blend."

I found it in a summer-themed variety case that happened to find its way into my cart, and then my car trunk, eventually charming its way into my refrigerator.

I usually don't pay much attention to the things that concern the swish-and-spit drink-taster crowd -- words like "mouthfeel" and "overtones" and phrases like "earthy iron notes dissolve into a distinctly sticky sandalwood and biscuit backbone with an intricate yet timid weave of steamed peas and freshly laundered linen." I drink beer because I like beer. I can tell you if I like the flavor or not, and can articulate the odd taste note or two, but beyond that is a realm of understanding that I'm OK leaving unexplored. I'm too busy drinking the beer.

Latitude 48, however, doesn't fuck around. They're not kidding about the hops. It tastes like a mouthful of flowers and tea leaves and grass. I don't mean that negatively -- the flavor is actually quite nice. What I mean is, if you're accustomed to paying only peripheral attention to your beer, as I do, the flavor is going to punch you in the mouth. And it just used that hand to re-sod the lawn. Be prepared.

1 comment:

MattG said...

I'll have to seek this out. While visiting Boston a couple weeks ago, I tried the Sam Adams Boston Brick Red (exclusive to the area) and enjoyed it very much. I imagine it'll be available near you, whilst I can only fondly recall it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails