Monday, March 15, 2010

Daily Photo 3.13.10 (plus several rants and a story)

Like it? 
Lots of variety in today's pictures. Either I'm sorry, or you're welcome, or neither.

Click the panorama of Nik's Gramma to embiggen it. We visited Gramma in the morning and sat with her a while, helped figure out some kind of confuckerage that was up with her cable TV. She'd been having a rotten week and not being able to watch the Home & Garden channel capped it -- when there's no HGTV, she gravitates toward Fox News and gets the shit scared out of her about everything from vaccines to immigrants. I think we can all agree that's a bad situation.

Afterward we paid a visit to Whole Foods, where the onions were larger than I'd ever seen before. I don't think I'm quite capturing the gargantuatude of these onions. Use the garlic for comparison. Keep in mind the garlic heads were big too.

Whole Foods has a whole section devoted to bullshit. It's called "much of the inside of the store." In that section, you'll find homeopathic remedies, which are sugar pills that some people think cure ailments. They do not. They are as effective as fairy dust, and contain just as much medicine. Note the ailments that these pills are supposed to cure: "Helps reduce scars"? Hemorrhoids? Joint pain caused by dampness? Stage fright? The "30C" you're seeing on there means that 1 drop of active ingredient has been diluted into 100 drops of water, and a drop of that solution has been diluted in 100 drops of water, and a drop of that solution has been diluted in 100 drops of water, on and on, 30 times. Diluting something that far means the dilution of the actual ingredient on the label to inactive ingredients is [quoting Ben Goldacre of The Guardian here] "a 1 followed by 60 zeroes, or - let's be absolutely clear - a dilution of 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,
000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,
000,000,000,000,000,000." End of homeopathy rant.

Beginning of Whole Foods rant. Listen: Whole Foods is great if you want interesting stuff you can't find in other grocery stores. I found crumpets there! They're delicious. The fruits and vegetables are ripe and plump. You can buy some flavorful but overpriced grains, teas, meats, oils, sauces, and more. Nik and I love going there to look around and buy selective items like treats once in a great while. But nonsense like this crap pictured above makes me despise the place and everything it stands for. Bags of spring water ice cubes? If you buy this, you enjoy wasting money. Give it to people who actually need it instead of frittering it away on bogus crap. End of Whole Foods rant.

Beginning of cool, wet, streaky night photographs. We went for a drive through Providence after that and headed toward the mall. These are the things we saw on the way:








This is a Nike sneaker we happened by while walking through the mall. Nike makes some of the most ridiculous-looking shoes on the planet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are the ones that Marty McFly wore in "Back to the Future Part II," right?

I leave you with the following charming story of an incident that happened while we were shopping, which I wrote about in my Moleskine. Enjoy and thanks.

3 comments:

Jumile said...

Regarding the Moleskine entry...

Yes, don't we all. A sticker we can live by. :)

Justin said...

Wholefoods' beer and cheese selection can get me in the door, but the wu (woo? I really should know how to spell that) like you mentioned make me reluctant to come back anytime soon.

Dan said...

Justin: I agree. I have a like-hate relationship with Whole Foods. Every time I go there, I find something that drives me crazy for months to come. This time, it's the spring water ice cubes, which in a strange way irritates me even more than the homeopathy. I have even more of a problem with Trader Joe's, because it's an entire grocery store built upon selling lousy appetizers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails