Friday, January 22, 2010

Daily Photo 1.21.10

Like it? 
I was careless this heating season with the oil tank and let it run to empty, or nearly empty. Word of caution: don't ever do this. The pump that draws oil from the tank started screaming with anger. Had to have my dad, our friend Jack, and finally a furnace repairman come by to look at it. I suspected (after rejecting various worst-case scenarios as probably me just being neurotic) that junk from the bottom of the tank made its way into the pump. The guy from the oil company took pieces of the pump apart, drained the fuel line, filled an empty Gatorade bottle with drained-off fuel oil. He told me, "Wucky." He had a flashlight in his mouth at the time. He meant "lucky." Then changed the filters, ran the boiler, and it started working fine, which was a pleasant change from the 45° temperatures in the house. As he was packing up, he told me about his three basset hounds, his dearly departed golden retriever and border collie (Buckwheat and Lucky respectively), and how he stores butternut squash over the winter.

It shames me that I don't know how a boiler works, or how to fix it, and that I keep having to call people to fix things. I did pay attention to everything they did, so if this ever happens in the future (to someone else, because it's not going to happen to me again) I know what to do.

3 comments:

bigsam27 said...

may i ask how he stores his butternut squash? i have a fridge full from Somerset's Fisher Farms and i'm afraid it will go bad before i can eat it all...

Dan said...

He wasn't exactly specific, but he did say he kept his squash in a greenhouse kind of thing, and he had problems with rats getting in there. Not sure that helps, but there you go!

bigsam27 said...

thanks - i think i'll keep it it in the fridge, i choose a little mold over rats! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails